POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick: name seven gases in your house! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Quick: name seven gases in your house! (Message 22 to 31 of 51)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Quick: name seven gases in your house!
Date: 11 Jan 2008 10:39:20
Message: <47878da8@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> How about the CO2 bubbles you see when you take the cap off a fizzy
> drink bottle?

Ooh, been to a fairground recently? Got any helium balloons left
over...? Again, not directly observable but the effects are...

There's a good song about helium here:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/blimp/

:)

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 11 Jan 2008 10:40:28
Message: <op.t4ru3516c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:14:25 -0000, Bill Pragnell
<bil### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> gregjohn wrote:
>> Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> <pedant>
>>> Water vapour is suspended liquid droplets. Steam is the gas phase.
>>> </pedant>
>>  Water vapour is the gas phase.  Steam is the gas phase.
>
> So it is, my mistake. I always thought 'vapour' referred to suspended
> condensation. Wikipedia does mention the frequent misuse of the term.

Ditto, so water vapour equals steam; so what simple term can we use for
those fluffy white things? I don't think we can go with clouds, or fluffy
white thing.

>> And to everyone who said CO2 or Ar, that's not something you can
>> observe in your
>> house.  It's about observation of gaseous substances, not merely naming
>> off
>> elements a textbook will tell you might be present.
>
> Thought that might be the case! CO is particarly poorly judged then,
> being colourless and odourless.

Um so how did you observe air or water vapour, which are both also
colourless and odourless?

> How about the CO2 bubbles you see when you take the cap off a fizzy
> drink bottle?

Which brings us back to non-direct observation, which in turn rules back
in car exhausts, gas ovens, air-dusters, and freezers.

Sorry, but you still haven't given us a definition of observation.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message