POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wonderful products from microsoft Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Wonderful products from microsoft (Message 31 to 40 of 43)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Wonderful products from microsoft
Date: 9 Jan 2008 16:05:01
Message: <web.478536fabff9753d773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Kyle <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote:
> I recall that there was an accident here in town several years ago that was also a
wrong-place-wrong-time type also.
 A lady jogger was killed when a large branch from an old tree fell and crushed
> her.  She was found when a crew came to cut the branch up to haul it away.  I always
wondered if she had been discove
red earlier if she would have lived...

how has this off-topic thread come to be so offtopic? :P

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 9 Jan 2008 17:32:43
Message: <47854b8b$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> how has this off-topic thread come to be so offtopic? :P

Oh please! No more metathreads!!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Jan 2008 23:27:30
Message: <47859eb2$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:15:48 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> scott wrote:
>>> Yah. 20 seconds early or late and she'd still be alive and unharmed.
>>
>> But for every person that gets something like this, there are thousands
>> who escaped by 5, 10, 20 seconds from death.  Just due to the huge
>> numbers of people on this planet, there will always be stories like
>> this, people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>
> True...
>
>> Don't forget, there's (roughly) a 1 in 14 million chance of winning a
>> lottery, yet still hundreds of people worldwide have this happen to
>> them every week...
>
> Really? I thought it was actually quite unusual for anybody to win?
> (This is why they have so many rollover weeks.)
>
> [As an aside, I always thought a rollover week was a particularly *bad*
> way to try to sell tickets. "Hey, everybody! Last week several million
> people bought a ticket and NOBODY WON! You should hand over all your
> money right away for your chance to not win this week's draw!"]

Depends on how you define a "win".  I used to play the Minnesota State
Lottery years and years ago, and we "won" once (a group of us would go in
together on a batch of tickets) - $10, only cost us $20 in tickets.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> [As an aside, I always thought a rollover week was a particularly *bad*
> way to try to sell tickets. "Hey, everybody! Last week several million
> people bought a ticket and NOBODY WON! You should hand over all your
> money right away for your chance to not win this week's draw!"]

Consider that the lotto is a tax on people who are bad at math, and you
understand how easy it is to sell.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Consider that the lotto is a tax on people who are bad at math, and you
> understand how easy it is to sell.

Except it really isn't. It's only a tax on people who are bad at math
*and* who don't understand that risking a small amount isn't the same as
risking a large amount.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

>> Consider that the lotto is a tax on people who are bad at math, and
>> you understand how easy it is to sell.
>
> Except it really isn't. It's only a tax on people who are bad at math
> *and* who don't understand that risking a small amount isn't the same as
> risking a large amount.

Either way, once you get past the "hand me a one dollar bill 100 times,
and I'll hand you a 10 dollar bill once!", selling anything else on top
of that is relatively easy.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Either way, once you get past the "hand me a one dollar bill 100 times,
> and I'll hand you a 10 dollar bill once!", selling anything else on top
> of that is relatively easy.

I don't think anyone would play if $10 was the top payout.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it
     at the end and adjust the release date.

Post a reply to this message

>> Either way, once you get past the "hand me a one dollar bill 100
>> times, and I'll hand you a 10 dollar bill once!", selling anything
>> else on top of that is relatively easy.
>
> I don't think anyone would play if $10 was the top payout.

OK then, "Hand me a $1 bill 100,000,000,000 times, and I'll hand you a
check for $10,000,000!"

Same thing, different numbers.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

>>> Either way, once you get past the "hand me a one dollar bill 100
>>> times, and I'll hand you a 10 dollar bill once!", selling anything
>>> else on top of that is relatively easy.
>>
>> I don't think anyone would play if $10 was the top payout.
>>

> OK then, "Hand me a $1 bill 100,000,000,000 times, and I'll hand you a
> check for $10,000,000!"
>
> Same thing, different numbers.

Yes, but the "different numbers" are important.

Give me $1 for a 1/100 chance to win $10,000.  Would you do it?

Give me a million dollars for a 1/100 chance to win $10,000,000,000.
Would you do it?

The "different numbers" matter.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it
     at the end and adjust the release date.

Post a reply to this message

>>> I don't think anyone would play if $10 was the top payout.
>>>

>> OK then, "Hand me a $1 bill 100,000,000,000 times, and I'll hand you a
>> check for $10,000,000!"
>>
>> Same thing, different numbers.
>
> Yes, but the "different numbers" are important.
>
> Give me $1 for a 1/100 chance to win $10,000.  Would you do it?
>
> Give me a million dollars for a 1/100 chance to win $10,000,000,000.
> Would you do it?
>
> The "different numbers" matter.

Yes they matter, but in both my examples the odds were extremely against
you coming out ahead.

Actually, I take that back.  Those are extremely favorable odds.  Now to
prove it, let's you and I play a few times.  I'll be the house...

:)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>