POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illegal operation - call Holmes Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Illegal operation - call Holmes (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: alphaQuad
Subject: Illegal operation - call Holmes
Date: 18 Nov 2007 10:35:00
Message: <web.47405aec51349234f7c0db0c0@news.povray.org>
So I am doing this, that and the other thing. I got poseray and povray and 5
other apps running.
No big deal, I do it all the time. Wondering if DX9 was installed before or

(if after, then I have to boot to another drive to run DAZ or install, find CD
etc, blah blah)

close that window right a way. (it was DX9 btw) I'm sure they thought of
checking files AND registry. Ya think?

Panic, nausea, distress. I get everything closed and try to re-run pov.

"Illegal operation. If problem persists, contact the vendor."

Ya right, I'll do THAT ... right away (sarc). As if the problem might simply fix
itself after a good night's sleep or something.

Some of these geeks must think computers are real people, though I can
understand their confusion.

Reboot: no fix.
Install back-up registry: no fix
Megapov and povman also affected. Program opens as a minimized render window
would sit, only restore full screen, both min buttons returned to previous
state.

Moral of the story:

Kill yourself. Do it now.

No. Seriously.
?
Hold people accountable maybe? (will happen when hell freezes).

Good thing pov uninstall and reinstall did not fail. I was only gone for about
an hour.

Interesting MS note:
On running dxdiag, it went into a long diatribe about how it was going to help
if I let it use the net to check file authenticity sigs or some BS. I told it
(hell) no. (you've done enough, thank you very much)sarc.