POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgrade or Overclock? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Upgrade or Overclock? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Upgrade or Overclock?
Date: 17 Mar 2010 18:44:31
Message: <op.u9qhgldoufxv4h@xena>
The warranty on my Sahara PC will expire at the end of this month. This
means I can start changing the things I don't like about my PC :)

Current System:

Case: Superchannel CX-7258ROGX
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 @2.66GHz 45nm. idle @ 43deg C
Motherboard: Intel DG41RQ(LGA775)
RAM: 4Gb Dual-Channel DDR2 @400MHz
Graphics: Sparkle 512Mb nVidia GeForce 8400GS. idle @ 57deg C
HDD: 500Gb Samsung HD5021J
Operating System: Windows XP 32bit

Pov-Ray Beta 35a rendered the Benchmark @ 1m 41s on Windows XP

The case doesn't seem to be designed for cooling, so I'm not sure if
over-clocking would be a good option. I've never over-clocked a PC before,
but I wouldn't mind trying for 3GHz
Any ideas what the cheapest change would be that would result in increased
performance? Liquid cooling? New case?

-Nekar Xenos-