POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only in South Africa Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Only in South Africa (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Only in South Africa
Date: 25 Jun 2008 15:34:35
Message: <48629dcb@news.povray.org>
Johannesburg police go on strike and blockade 2 major highways for 4 hours
in protest over low wages.

On the downside, I missed martial arts class tonigh as a result.
On the plus side, I had over an hour to admire the fantastic architecture of
the city center. </sarcasm>

I can't find a permanent link to a news article yet. Here are the headlines
from a radio station:

Metro strike causes traffic standstill 25/06/2008 18:22:19
It's chaos on several roads in Joburg.

Scores of metro police are protesting in the city centre over pay.

Traffic is heavily backed up on the M2 east and west and several other major
routes.

It's understood senior metro police officials failed to arrive at a meeting
on Wednesday to discuss the wage dispute forcing officers to take to the
streets

Highways open after protest 25/06/2008 19:18:48
All major routes in the Johannesburg CBD have now been reopened after
protesting metro cops blocked several roads in the area.

Both the M2 and the M1 south were closed to traffic for several hours and
there is still heavy congestion on many routes as a result.

Post a reply to this message