POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Kindle Strikes Again! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  The Kindle Strikes Again! (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: The Kindle Strikes Again!
Date: 15 Dec 2010 10:48:55
Message: <87ipyv82bi.fsf@fester.com>
Hi,

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/12/15/0153255/Amazon-Taking-Down-Erotica-Removing-From-Kindles

Note that they removed the books from people's Kindles.

Did not someone here say that they promised never to do that again?

I saw this recently - written in 2007:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/11/19/the-future-of-reading

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The Kindle Strikes Again!
Date: 15 Dec 2010 11:20:47
Message: <4d08eadf$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Note that they removed the books from people's Kindles.

That's not what it says in the article. It says they stopped selling it, and
it's missing from the archives. The "archive" on a kindle is a list of books
you bought and then deleted but which you can download again. There's no
indication in the article that Amazon removed the books from a kindle. Only
that if *you* deleted the book without saving a copy, Amazon wouldn't give
it to you again. Which I'll grant is inappropriate, but not nearly as bad as
"they remotely deleted the books."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> Note that they removed the books from people's Kindles.
>
> That's not what it says in the article. It says they stopped selling it,
> and it's missing from the archives. The "archive" on a kindle is a list
> of books you bought and then deleted but which you can download
> again. There's no indication in the article that Amazon removed the
> books from a kindle. Only that if *you* deleted the book without saving
> a copy, Amazon wouldn't give it to you again. Which I'll grant is
> inappropriate, but not nearly as bad as "they remotely deleted the
> books."

I stand corrected. The Slashdot summary was incorrect.

Post a reply to this message

> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:
>
>> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>> Note that they removed the books from people's Kindles.
>> That's not what it says in the article. It says they stopped selling it,
>> and it's missing from the archives. The "archive" on a kindle is a list
>> of books you bought and then deleted but which you can download
>> again. There's no indication in the article that Amazon removed the
>> books from a kindle. Only that if *you* deleted the book without saving
>> a copy, Amazon wouldn't give it to you again. Which I'll grant is
>> inappropriate, but not nearly as bad as "they remotely deleted the
>> books."
>
> I stand corrected. The Slashdot summary was incorrect.

I don't know that it was incorrect. I'm just pointing out that "deleted from
archive" doesn't mean "deleted from kindle."  Since the OP got that wrong
too, it's hard to tell if the friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend actually got it
right or not.

In any case, it's pretty slimey to take it out of the archives after you
bought it too.