POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Q. Free Web hosting Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:43:00 EDT (-0400)
  Q. Free Web hosting (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Q. Free Web hosting
Date: 11 Jan 2009 12:54:58
Message: <j4ckm4p1cjn17l6bdmic0gr1gdbscbql64@4ax.com>
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:50:29 -0600, Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> I'm looking for a free web hosting site after messing up my GeoCities one. Does
>> anyone have any recommendations?
>
>	What do you plan to host?

Just some files that I can link to. I don't intend building a webpage.

Thanks for your suggestions Nearly Free Speech looks interesting.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jan 2009 15:26:02
Message: <496a55da$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Just some files that I can link to. I don't intend building a webpage.

While it's not free, Amazon's S3 service is exceptionally cheap, assuming
you have a credit card they'll take to start with. I run about $0.25/month
(as in, less than a dollar, yes).

s3fox extension makes it easy.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Jan 2009 17:40:08
Message: <n9tkm4tjs316hk5lcp7p474tfrkgncdnrd@4ax.com>
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:26:02 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> Just some files that I can link to. I don't intend building a webpage.
>
>While it's not free, Amazon's S3 service is exceptionally cheap, assuming
>you have a credit card they'll take to start with. I run about $0.25/month
>(as in, less than a dollar, yes).
>
>s3fox extension makes it easy.

Thanks Darren
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 11 Jan 2009 18:19:16
Message: <496a7e74$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:28:12 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>    What happened to your GeoCities site?
>>

> Reason found. I did not know that there are two (for me) geocities sites.
> http://www.geocities.com/ and http://uk.geocities.com/
> Well, well, well and I found two old animations from 2003 and 2004 that I
> thought I had lost. One of them a game of bagatelle using Rune's Particle
> system.
> I think that I will consolidate everything when I find a new site.
> Phew!

   LOL, phew indeed! It's cool that you found your animations again!

    Yes, get the lot onto one host somewhere and back up the files to a
flashdrive/whatever etc.

      ~Steve~

> --
>
> Regards
>     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 11 Jan 2009 18:19:17
Message: <496a7e75@news.povray.org>
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:28:12 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>    What happened to your GeoCities site?
>>
>>     No recommendations, but don't you have a free site/space through your
>>ISP?
>
> I had a couple of old logons and when I started to run out of space on the
> main
> one (15 Meg) I reactivated one of the old ones and deleted everything to
> start
> afresh. It looks like there was only one site and the other logons are
> aliases.
> As for free space through AOL, they shut it down last month. That does not
> bode
> well for them, I think.

     Oh, that definately doesn't sound good for them. :/

     They have the space, no doubt about that, but I guess the cost of
running something free actually costs lots now...

> I will probably change my ISP soon but RL is unsettled so I want to wait a
> bit
> before paying for anything.

   I would recommend my ISP, Tiscali, but even though I have never had a
problem internet-wise, they are like Google: hard to contact. Well, unless I
give you the email that I have, that is... ;)

     ~Steve~

> --
>
> Regards
>     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 12 Jan 2009 03:36:58
Message: <440mm49a72e352r4q8pkue14bonjnbe1im@4ax.com>
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:19:11 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>     Oh, that definately doesn't sound good for them. :/
>
>     They have the space, no doubt about that, but I guess the cost of
>running something free actually costs lots now...

Yes, they have been slowly running down their services over the past few years.

>> I will probably change my ISP soon but RL is unsettled so I want to wait a
>> bit
>> before paying for anything.
>
>   I would recommend my ISP, Tiscali, but even though I have never had a
>problem internet-wise, they are like Google: hard to contact. Well, unless I
>give you the email that I have, that is... ;)

I'll definitely consider that when I'm a bit more settled.
--

Regards
     Stephen