POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPL to be tested Server Time
19 Oct 2021 18:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  GPL to be tested (Message 1 to 4 of 4)  
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: GPL to be tested
Date: 22 Jul 2021 21:14:43
Message: <60fa1803$1@news.povray.org>
Stockfish is suing Chessbase for using and modifying Stockfish's chess
engine in violation of the GPL license.

https://wpguynews.com/stockfish-contributors-sue-chessbase-for-gpl-violations/


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: GPL to be tested
Date: 23 Jul 2021 15:35:11
Message: <60fb19ef$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:14:43 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> Stockfish is suing Chessbase for using and modifying Stockfish's chess
> engine in violation of the GPL license.
> 
> https://wpguynews.com/stockfish-contributors-sue-chessbase-for-gpl-
violations/

Not the first time, not likely the last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_license_litigation



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Re: GPL to be tested
Date: 30 Aug 2021 13:15:11
Message: <612d121f$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/23/2021 3:35 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:14:43 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> 
>> Stockfish is suing Chessbase for using and modifying Stockfish's chess
>> engine in violation of the GPL license.
>>
>> https://wpguynews.com/stockfish-contributors-sue-chessbase-for-gpl-
> violations/
> 
> Not the first time, not likely the last.
> 
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_license_litigation

I didn't realize SCOTUS had overturned Oracle v. Google re: copyrighting 
Java APIs.


-- 
dik
Rendered 50,081,587,200 of 50,081,587,200 pixels (100%)


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: GPL to be tested
Date: 31 Aug 2021 11:36:46
Message: <612e4c8e$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:15:09 -0400, Dick Balaska wrote:

> On 7/23/2021 3:35 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:14:43 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> 
>>> Stockfish is suing Chessbase for using and modifying Stockfish's chess
>>> engine in violation of the GPL license.
>>>
>>> https://wpguynews.com/stockfish-contributors-sue-chessbase-for-gpl-
>> violations/
>> 
>> Not the first time, not likely the last.
>> 
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_license_litigation
> 
> I didn't realize SCOTUS had overturned Oracle v. Google re: copyrighting
> Java APIs.

Yeah.

And SCO v. IBM had an update *yesterday*.  Looks like there's a $14.5m 
settlement that's about to be approved.



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.