POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random question on a friday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Random question on a friday morning (Message 1 to 10 of 49)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random question on a friday morning
Date: 19 Dec 2008 04:26:26
Message: <494b68c2@news.povray.org>
What actually makes that "chattering" sound that old tape systems make?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Random question on a friday morning
Date: 19 Dec 2008 04:55:07
Message: <4rrmk4d2vveqpvffguo1p3148qmiujgftt@4ax.com>
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:26:25 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>What actually makes that "chattering" sound that old tape systems make?

Are you talking about magnetic tape or paper tape?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 19 Dec 2008 04:56:06
Message: <494b6fb6$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:26:25 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> What actually makes that "chattering" sound that old tape systems make?
>
> Are you talking about magnetic tape or paper tape?

HAHAHAHA!

Good god man, magnetic! I've never *seen* paper tape, except in a museum...

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:56:05 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:26:25 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>
>>> What actually makes that "chattering" sound that old tape systems make?
>>
>> Are you talking about magnetic tape or paper tape?
>
>HAHAHAHA!
>
>Good god man, magnetic! I've never *seen* paper tape, except in a museum...

Just asking! You have a wide range of interests.

The chattering is probably the tensioning system and the tape drive starting and
stopping as the data is read.

--

Regards
     Stephen