POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Welcome to the future Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Welcome to the future (Message 48 to 57 of 77)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Welcome to the future
Date: 14 Apr 2011 12:30:56
Message: <4da72140@news.povray.org>
On 4/14/2011 1:07, Invisible wrote:
> It would be harder to crack if you invented some new storage format and then
> made all devices capable of playing it respect the DRM.

They did this with DVDs and Blu-Rays.

> (In particular, this means not making it playable on a PC.)

The PC playback software respected the DRM. Someone just found a way to
break into the PC software. Just like they found a way to break into the PS3
hardware.

> Trouble is, as I say, as soon as one
> company manufactures a device that ignores the DRM, everything is ruined
> forever.

Or as soon as the DRM scheme is broken.  Most DRM schemes have mechanisms
for repudiating certain schemes or keys or players or whatever. The Windows
DRM stuff has a bunch of things in there to make sure that if you do manage
to break it and they find out the player that broke, they can keep the keys
away from that player in the future.  Of course, this means that every
player has to communicate with the servers at some point before they can
play stuff, so it wouldn't really work well for things like DVDs but rather
only for online stuff.

> On the other hand, if you can see it, you can copy it. At least until they
> ban video recording equipment...

Yes, that's basically the trick I'm speaking of.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message