POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Welcome to the future Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Welcome to the future (Message 11 to 20 of 77)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Welcome to the future
Date: 12 Apr 2011 14:33:33
Message: <4da49afd$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/04/2011 04:52 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 7:15, Invisible wrote:
>> So if this technology is the future... where is it? How come it's
>> completely
>> vanished off the face of existence?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_computing

Oh, is that what they call it now?

>> There seemed to be some suggesting that the entire IC might work by
>> processing light instead of electricity. I'm sceptical about whether that
>> could work. I'm not aware of any light-based switching technology.
>
> The very effect that makes you not need wires means the entire IC can't
> work with nothing but light. You don't need wires because photons don't
> interact with each other - they only interact with electrons. Hence, you
> can't easily switch light without involving electricity.

The article linked claims that materials with a "non-linear refractive
index" can be used to make signals interact. It also suggests that this
is much less efficient than semiconductors.

>> On the other hand, just using light for implementing long-range
>> connections? That could *totally* work!
>
> You mean, like, microwave communication towers and fiber optic cable?

No, I mean like if component A needs to be connected to component Z at
the other end of the die, you could stick in an optical link, rather
than trying to route a trace the entire way across the die. And doing so
might be a big win in terms of signal propogation speed, capacitance, etc.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/