POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitoring prices Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Monitoring prices (Message 77 to 86 of 106)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Monitoring prices
Date: 11 Feb 2011 14:45:10
Message: <4d5591c6$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/02/2011 7:24 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> It makes it look like all you have to do is *convince* people that if
> they invest enough money, "one day" you will start making a huge profit.
> Of course, talking people into things is significantly easier than, say,
> ACTUALLY MAKING A PROFIT.

Look up Ponzi scheme

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Feb 2011 14:46:15
Message: <4d559207$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Of course, talking people into things is significantly easier than, say,
> ACTUALLY MAKING A PROFIT.

Which is exactly why about four out of five start-ups fail in the first
three years or so.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

From: Stephen
Date: 12 Feb 2011 12:43:51
Message: <4d56c6d7$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/02/2011 6:43 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, yes, it was kinda like that for me, too - the work itself was OK,
> but between my coworkers and my boss at that job, it wasn't easy for me,
> and I'm sure (in retrospect) that I didn't make it easy for them, either.

LOL That's what happens when you're too smart for your own good '-)

>> It did for me too until I moved on to a better job.
>
> Yep, that's the way it works. :-)

I did a count a couple of months ago and I've had 41 paying jobs. Most
of them in the last 15 years, since I've been contracting.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:43:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 11/02/2011 6:43 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>

>> Well, yes, it was kinda like that for me, too - the work itself was OK,
>> but between my coworkers and my boss at that job, it wasn't easy for
>> me, and I'm sure (in retrospect) that I didn't make it easy for them,
>> either.
>>

> LOL That's what happens when you're too smart for your own good '-)

Indeed. :-)

>>> It did for me too until I moved on to a better job.
>>
>> Yep, that's the way it works. :-)
>>

> I did a count a couple of months ago and I've had 41 paying jobs. Most
> of them in the last 15 years, since I've been contracting.

I remembered you had done something like that - I guess contracting/
consulting would lead to that - lots of interesting experiences if you
can find the work, that's for sure. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message