POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy machinery Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Heavy machinery (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Invisible
Subject: Heavy machinery
Date: 4 Feb 2011 09:25:00
Message: <4d4c0c3c@news.povray.org>
Those of you who have played HalfLife two will be familiar with the
giant thumper machines they use to keep the antlions at bay. Well the
other day, I drove through a building site, and they had a machine
exactly like this. Same size and everything. (Although it was yellow
rather than black.) What in the name of God...?

Post a reply to this message

> Those of you who have played HalfLife two will be familiar with the
> giant thumper machines they use to keep the antlions at bay. Well the
> other day, I drove through a building site, and they had a machine
> exactly like this. Same size and everything. (Although it was yellow
> rather than black.) What in the name of God...?

Sampe working principle, too - except that instead of driving off
antlions, they drive stuff into the earth. Typically steel piles for a
retaining wall.

They're usually mobile though.

Post a reply to this message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pile_driver

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

> Those of you who have played HalfLife two will be familiar with the
> giant thumper machines they use to keep the antlions at bay. Well the
> other day, I drove through a building site, and they had a machine
> exactly like this. Same size and everything. (Although it was yellow
> rather than black.) What in the name of God...?

Thumpers to call Shai-Hulud.

Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Those of you who have played HalfLife two will be familiar with the
> > giant thumper machines they use to keep the antlions at bay. Well the
> > other day, I drove through a building site, and they had a machine
> > exactly like this. Same size and everything. (Although it was yellow
> > rather than black.) What in the name of God...?
>
> Thumpers to call Shai-Hulud.

Maker-hooks at the ready. If there's drumsand at your back, be sure to make use
of your secondary.

Post a reply to this message

> Maker-hooks at the ready. If there's drumsand at your back, be sure to make use
> of your secondary.

WTF-O-Meter: 6.2

Post a reply to this message

>> Maker-hooks at the ready. If there's drumsand at your back, be sure to
>> make use
>> of your secondary.
>
> WTF-O-Meter: 6.2

Whatever you do don't cry or spill any water over it. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen