POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Kindling (Message 131 to 140 of 520)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Kindling
Date: 18 Jan 2011 06:07:21
Message: <4d357469$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 10:50 AM, andrel wrote:

> Thanks, that should be easy to remember.

:-)

> I have the feeling that I do not see that often people using whom, is
> that so or is that because I mainly talk to people for whom it is a
> second language?

Because of the "sloppiness" in the way people speak now, it is
considered overly correct or posh.
You might hear a rejoinder (in a gay tone). “Ooo! Get him, whooom!”

> Was it the not the nine o'clock news...
>
> And the sketch about...

Sorry, I was out of the country at the time ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jan 2011 06:12:19
Message: <4d357593@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 11:05 AM, scott wrote:

> IME those with English as a second language would be more likely to know
> [insert feature X of the English language here] than native speakers :-)

FTFY.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 06:15:12
Message: <4d357640$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 11:04 AM, scott wrote:
>> Use he/him to decide who/whom, correctness.
>
> Is it valid to use I/me to decide "x and I"/"x and me" correctness? If
> so, I see a lot of people getting it wrong - eg "Me and John will be
> coming tomorrow" or "It will be John and I coming tomorrow"

It is always polite to put yourself second. The rule I use is to say the
sentence without the supplementary “X and”.
"Me and John will be coming tomorrow" -> “Me will be coming tomorrow" –
Not right.
“I will be coming tomorrow" – Right.
"I and John will be coming tomorrow" – Right.
"John and I will be coming tomorrow" – Righter.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 06:18:10
Message: <4d3576f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 11:04 AM, Invisible wrote:

>>> So how come it doesn't cost you money then?
>>
>> It did but included in the price of the e-reader.
>
> Except that a dictionary is more expensive than an e-reader...

You are comparing a bound book with software that costs ~ £10 to buy.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 06:40:17
Message: <4d357c21@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 3:57 AM, Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Stephen<mcavoys_at@aoldotcom>  writes:
>
>> On 13/01/2011 3:50 PM, nemesis wrote:
>>> or to
>>> read ebooks in tiny letters...:)
>>
>> With E Books, you can change the font size.
>> I would not go anywhere without my Sony Reader.
>
> I love my Sony. The interface is really good.

Me too!
The Sony software is Crap, IMO. I use Calibre exclusively.

I can't imagine life
> without the touch sensitive display (I use it to read news). Also, the
> dictionary is handy - just double tap on a word and it pulls it up.

For free Andrew :-P

> I'm sure I'll find some use for handwriting notes with the stylus one
> day, but haven't thought of one yet.
>

> What I find really cool is that when I transfer news from Calibre to the
> Sony, the device *knows* that it's receiving news. So it puts them all
> in the Periodicals Section. This way, my list of ebooks is not cluttered
> with hundreds of newspaper ebooks.

That is a good piece of software, regularly updated. I find it slightly

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 18 Jan 2011 07:20:00
Message: <web.4d35852c5dfdca389a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 18/01/2011 09:09 AM, andrel wrote:
>
> > why would the publishing bussiness act different than the music bussiness?
>
> I get the impression that the only *real* advantage of HD is that you
> can charge people all over again for the same content...

it is an advantage for people with non-damaged eyes.

Also, most people with new HD gear are buying new HD content, only occasionally
buying an old classic due nostalgia...

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 10:56:51
Message: <87hbd64369.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> He didn't say, but it's not hard to believe. Consider Arthur C. Clarke:
>> Isaac Asimov's is similar (15 books).
>> Precious little of Ray Bradbury.
>
> Sure. None of which I'd guess were favorites of anyone's grandparents. :-)

Well, many people's grandparents are your parents' age. Those three
authors are most people's grandparents' contemporaries. Along with Roald
Dahl.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:00:05
Message: <87d3nu430v.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> dictionary is handy - just double tap on a word and it pulls it up.
>
> I find myself reading comments in net news or blogs, and missing the
> ability to just point at a questionable word and pull up the dictionary.

If you use Firefox, I'm sure there's an extension for that.

>> I'm sure I'll find some use for handwriting notes with the stylus one
>> day, but haven't thought of one yet.
>
> If you don't have a very smart phone, you could put appointments or
> phone numbers in it. :-)

Actually, I don't. My phone cost about $25. I'm not a cell phone
guy. Good point, though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:02:11
Message: <878vyi42xd.fsf@fester.com>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> writes:

>> I love my Sony. The interface is really good.
>
> Me too!
> The Sony software is Crap, IMO. I use Calibre exclusively.

I use the Sony software only to buy stuff from their store.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:04:42
Message: <874o9642t6.fsf@fester.com>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> writes:

>>> Making customers have to re-buy material because they lost access would
>>> be very poor customer service indeed.
>>
>> Obviously they're not doing this on purpose,
>
> why would the publishing bussiness act different than the music bussiness?

Because with ebooks, it's easier to self publish than it is for
musicians to do so.

Most of the reason we needed publishers was as a means to get our books
into stores. According to a lot of people, all the marketing they do
rarely helps sales. What does help is the ability to get bookstores to
put your book in an accessible place. This whole ebooks thing is
changing that.

The other benefit of publishers is editing, etc.