POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
8 Oct 2024 13:41:46 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 151 to 160 of 465)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 11 Jan 2011 12:23:23
Message: <4d2c920b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Just about every living organism has homeostasis. I presume you mean
> *temperature* homeostasis?

Yes.

> Right. So what you're saying is that it's unusual that 5 digits is a
> conserved feature?

It seems like a very minor and easily-mutated feature, compared to (say)
bilateral symmetry.

> I suspect what it boils down so is that there's no specific reason why
> some number other than 5 would be an advantage, so it hasn't changed.
> (This of course doesn't rule out random "neutral" changes I suppose...)

That's my point. It doesn't rule out neutral changes, yet we don't see
neutral changes. And people investigating this have found that we don't see
neutral changes because neutral changes in the gene for finger bones are
also catastrophically detrimental changes to the reproductive system.

> extremely highly conserved.)

What I've read, which I found interesting, is that five fingers is highly
conserved not because of itself, but because it's linked to other highly
conserved genes. That's basically what I'm saying. I.e., something no
designer would have a reason to do.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: