POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Flash boot Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Flash boot (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: Flash boot
Date: 20 Dec 2010 09:45:36
Message: <4d0f6c10@news.povray.org>
Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
an operating system from a USB flash drive?

I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:45:35 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?

Yes.  Several times. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message

On 12/20/2010 02:45 PM, Invisible wrote:
> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?
>
> I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
> managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
> BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)

A couple of Linux Live distributions, yes.

Post a reply to this message

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?
>
> I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
> managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
> BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)

Yes, on somewhere between 15 and 20 different PCs the last 2-3 years.

I suggest that you try Unetbootin with some Linux variant.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?
>
> I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
> managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
> BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)

FWIW, it needs not only the right BIOS, but the right flash drive too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

I use BackTrack 4 from a flash drive...works nicely.

Ian

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:45:35 -0500, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?
>
> I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
> managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
> BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)

> Has anybody here ever, under any circumstances, actually managed to boot
> an operating system from a USB flash drive?
>
> I keep hearing stories that say it's possible, but personally I've never
> managed to make it work. (Perhaps because I haven't found a PC with a
> BIOS that actually supports doing such a thing...)
Yep. Had to as a means to booting my laptop, so I could write the OS to
the newer, larger, SSD drive I put in. In most cases, the PC is set to
a) not allow it, and b) not look for the USB as a boot source, by default.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();