POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : sci-fi vs fantasy Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  sci-fi vs fantasy (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Darren New
Subject: sci-fi vs fantasy
Date: 18 Dec 2010 14:48:17
Message: <4d0d1001$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.staresattheworld.com/2010/12/scifi-vs-fantasy/

I think this guy hits the nail on the head, expressing it better than I ever
managed. (As I would hope.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: sci-fi vs fantasy
Date: 19 Dec 2010 05:46:56
Message: <4d0de2a0@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2010 2:48 PM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.staresattheworld.com/2010/12/scifi-vs-fantasy/
>
> I think this guy hits the nail on the head, expressing it better than I
> ever managed. (As I would hope.)

Best quote:

"You show me a Scifi/Fantasy mixer, and I’ll show you a liberal arts
major who wishes their degree was useful."

As far as the setting goes, in science fiction the departures from the
real world are the result of the inherent capacities of artifacts by
which these departures are exhibited.  Ray guns shoot rays because
that's what they do when you pull the trigger.  Philosophers call this
the primacy of reality.

On the other hand, fantasy is based on magic, which is all about the
real world responding to human will.  Magic wands spout magic because
the person holding the wand wants it to.  Philosophers call this the
primacy of consciousness.

Either things do what they do (they work according to the principles of
science), or they do what we want (and work according to the principles
of magic)[1].  If things do what they do at one moment, but do what the
characters want at another, then the author is making stuff up as he
goes along.

Now that's the setting of the tale, but that is not necessarily what the
tale is *about*.

Fantasy, in view of what the story is about, is a tale of individual
good and evil.  Science fiction is a tale about societal good and evil.

For the most part, a fantasy setting works better with a story about
individual good and evil, and a scientific setting works better with a
story about societal good and evil.

So it is possible to mix SF and Fantasy, but only in that you can have a
tale about individual good and evil in a technological setting.  Star
Wars is essentially a fantasy tale, but its magic (the Force) is tamed
by operating in very specific ways.  Harry Potter is a fantasy setting,
but it spends as much time exploring societal good and evil as it does
exploring individual good and evil.

I suppose you could also have a tale that explores both individual good
and evil as well as societal good and evil, but that takes better
handling than most authors can manage.

Regards
John
[1]  Under this pair of definitions, Windows, which does what it does,
and not necessarily what we want, is science, not magic.  Make of it
what you will.

Post a reply to this message