POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D
Date: 2 Dec 2010 06:07:02
Message: <4cf77dd6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/12/2010 11:25, Phil Cook v2 nous fit lire :
> And lo On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 07:45:38 -0000, Nekar Xenos
> <nek### [at] gmailcom> did spake thusly:

>>>  > ...
>>>
>>> So you are saying that the universe is expanding at a speed faster
>>> than the speed of light?
>>>
>> This looks like a misunderstanding to me. Isn't that like saying if 2
>> cars are moving away from each other each with a speedo reading of
>> 100kph that they are moving at 200kph?
>
> But they are from each other's perspective. If you stood there and
> watched them drive away you'd see them both doing 100kph, but why is
> your viewpoint more valid than that of either driver's?

Seeing them going away at about 100kph each. In the "about", you must
put the speed of the light... you can neglect it for car, but not galaxy
far far away in the universe. Same goes for a driver, it's also about
200kph, with yet that speed of light to take into account.
(but the red shift for the car is really so small...)

Post a reply to this message

Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:37:51 +0200, Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:

> > On 01/12/2010 6:10 PM, Warp wrote:
> >>    And exactly what is wrong about that statement?
> >  > ...
> >
> > So you are saying that the universe is expanding at a speed faster than
> > the speed of light?
> >
> This looks like a misunderstanding to me. Isn't that like saying if 2 cars
> are moving away from each other each with a speedo reading of 100kph that
> they are moving at 200kph?

  No, it's not like that. The expansion of the universe is not galaxies
moving away from each other because they had an initial velocity towards
some direction. It's about the space itself expanding, its geometry
changing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>>>  > ...
>>>
>>> So you are saying that the universe is expanding at a speed faster than
>>> the speed of light?
>>>
>> This looks like a misunderstanding to me. Isn't that like saying if 2 cars
>> are moving away from each other each with a speedo reading of 100kph that
>> they are moving at 200kph?
>
>   No, it's not like that. The expansion of the universe is not galaxies
> moving away from each other because they had an initial velocity towards
> some direction. It's about the space itself expanding, its geometry
> changing.

It's like two cars on a drawbridge, sitting still while the bridge opens,
and hence moving away from each other even tho the parking brakes are on. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: