POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Estimation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Estimation (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: Estimation
Date: 15 Nov 2010 11:34:13
Message: <4ce16105@news.povray.org>
It's an old problem. You can't measure something, so you try to estimate
it. But how do you figure out /how accurate/ your estimate is?

Computer graphics is full of situations where you want to estimate the
integral of something. The way you usually do this is to sample it at
lots of points and then take the weighted sum. The more points you
sample, the better the estimate. But usually each sample costs computer
power, so you don't want to take millions of samples except when it's
really necessary. But how do you know if it's "really necessary"?

It's a similar situation with benchmarking. You can run a benchmark and
time it. But what if Windows Update happened to run in the background
just at that moment? Or one of your cores overheated and changed clock
frequency? Hmm, better run the benchmark 3 times and take the average.
Still, 3 flukes are three times less likely than 1, but still hardly
what you'd call "impossible". People play the lottery with worse odds
than that!

So many you run the benchmark 100 times. Now if all 100 results are
almost identical, you can be pretty sure your result is very, very
accurate. And if all 100 results are all over the place, you should
probably do a bazillion more runs and plot a histogram. Still, how do
you put a number on "how accurate" your results are?

Does anybody here know enough about statistics to come up with answers?

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/11/2010 17:34, Invisible nous fit lire :

> Does anybody here know enough about statistics to come up with answers?

That's what standard deviation (σ) on my old casio FX-180P is made for.
In statistic mode.

You should do some research on "standard deviation", it might enlighten you.

Post a reply to this message

> So many you run the benchmark 100 times. Now if all 100 results are almost
> identical, you can be pretty sure your result is very, very accurate. And
> if all 100 results are all over the place, you should probably do a
> bazillion more runs and plot a histogram.

I suspect the accuracy of your estimations (of mean and standard deviation)
don't depend on the actual values of the mean and standard deviation.  I
could be wrong however.

Post a reply to this message

>> Does anybody here know enough about statistics to come up with answers?
>
> That's what standard deviation (σ) on my old casio FX-180P is made for.

The standard deviation tells you how variable something is. However:

1. This, by itself, does not tell you how many measurements you need to
take to achieve a given level of accuracy.

2. If you compute the SD from the data you gathered, then the SD itself
may be inaccurate.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Does anybody here know enough about statistics to come up with answers?
>>
>> That's what standard deviation (σ) on my old casio FX-180P is made for.
>
> The standard deviation tells you how variable something is. However:
>
> 1. This, by itself, does not tell you how many measurements you need to
> take to achieve a given level of accuracy.
>
> 2. If you compute the SD from the data you gathered, then the SD itself
> may be inaccurate.

IANAS but the SD is expected to go down with the square root of the
number of measurements *if* the data is from a normal distribution. So,
if that is the case (or can be assumed to be the case, then you do a
limited set of measurements and divide that by the required SD, the
square of that should give an estimate of how much longer you have to go.

If the data is from a different distribution, you have to know that
before you can compute anything.

Post a reply to this message