POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jenga Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Jenga (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Jenga
Date: 10 Nov 2010 14:36:43
Message: <4cdaf44b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   First the programmer is given a basic ascetic description of the program,
> and the programmer makes a small prototype. Then new ideas start pouring in,

Yes, this exactly.

And worse, the request comes from a customer who "will buy it if we put this
in."  But it takes three weeks to put it in, and the customer waits 2 weeks
and changes their mind, because the customer didn't really want to buy it
anyway but didn't want to tell the pushy salesman to go stuff it.

So you not only have a whole bunch of bags on the side (which is the old
timer's name for such features), but you have a whole bunch of bags half of
which are leaking.

I can't even say how many projects I've worked on that weren't even spec'ed
out enough for the person asking for the project to realize it's impossible
to implement.  Stuff like sample reports with amounts and totals marked as
"$XXX.XX" in the example, with calculations that mean the grand total at the
bottom right can't be both the sum of the column above and the sum of the
row to the left.

>   Thus the project advances. What started as a small, lean&clean prototype,
> with nice little modules and functions, starts slowly but steadily growing,

I *did* work in one place briefly once, where each project timeline would be
estimated based on "is this a one-off, or a production system? Are you
asking this question once, or will you ask again."  Asking once might take a
week to code, while asking in production would take six to eight weeks.

The cool thing was, after the one-off, you ran the program, took it to the
person that asked for it, and if they approved, you got them to sign off on
the timesheet. Then you went back and deleted the code.

When they come back the next month and say "I need that report again", you
get to say "It'll take a week this time also."

That was back when managers didn't think they could dictate development times.

Nowadays, where I work, nobody even starts writing the spec until after
they've decided when the feature will be released. I kid you not.

Only occasionally have I managed to convince a boss it'll be faster to
rewrite this from scratch than it will be to add the feature you're asking for.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: