POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  What is the Universe made of? (Message 11 to 20 of 56)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: What is the Universe made of?
Date: 3 Nov 2010 11:22:41
Message: <4cd17e41@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> http://xkcd.com/224/

  Well, I didn't ask what it was made *with*, but what is it made *of*.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2010 16:10:12
Message: <4cd1c1a4@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   What about the four fundamental interactions? Are they energy, or are
>>> they some property of the Universe distinct from energy?
>
>> They're energy in the sense that they're mass in the sense that they're
>> mediated by particles (assuming one finds gravitons, at least). The electric
>> force is photons interacting with electrons, for example, both of which are
>> energy.
>
>   Isn't that like saying "sound is matter"? Sound is transported by matter,
> sound isn't matter in itself. Sound is a phenomenon.

Sound is made out of matter. The electric field force is an emergent
property of the interactions between electric charge and photons. I think if
you're going to disagree that sound is made out of matter, then it's a
question of semantics you're asking, unrelated to the universe at large.

>   Likewise just because the fundamental forces are mediated by energy
> doesn't necessarily mean that the forces are energy.

"Force" is an emergent measurement. It's not an actual thing. It's a
statistic.  Just like the acceleration you feel sitting in your chair isn't
a thing, it's an effect caused by the earth and your butt taking convergent
paths through space-time.

>   I'm not saying the fundamental forces are not a form of energy, I'm simply
> wondering if they are (because I'm not a phycisist and I don't know).

Electrons repel each other because their statistical interaction with
photons they create is such that they're more likely to wind up farther away
from each other than closer to each other.  The "force" is the fact that we
can measure this.

>   I think in physics "information" is defined in terms of entropy, and as
> we know, entropy varies.

There's also "information" like "what color is this quark" or "how much
charge does this object hold" that don't disappear. That's why black holes
rotate: angular momentum is a form of information that doesn't disappear.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

> >> They're energy in the sense that they're mass in the sense that they're
> >> mediated by particles (assuming one finds gravitons, at least). The electric
> >> force is photons interacting with electrons, for example, both of which are
> >> energy.
> >
> >   Isn't that like saying "sound is matter"? Sound is transported by matter,
> > sound isn't matter in itself. Sound is a phenomenon.

> Sound is made out of matter. The electric field force is an emergent
> property of the interactions between electric charge and photons. I think if
> you're going to disagree that sound is made out of matter, then it's a
> question of semantics you're asking, unrelated to the universe at large.

  That's like saying that text is just ink and paper. Text is more than
that.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message