POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another example of conspiracy theories being dangerous Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Another example of conspiracy theories being dangerous (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: Another example of conspiracy theories being dangerous
Date: 1 Nov 2010 14:16:30
Message: <4ccf03fe@news.povray.org>
I think this is another example of a conspiracy theory which is actually
going to cause harm to people, at least in the US:

  It seems that in recent years there has been an increasingly popular
conspiracy theory in the United States that claims that having to pay
income tax is unconstitutional, the relevant amendment to the constitution
was not properly ratified, there is no actual law in the US which requires
people to pay income taxes, and hence the whole income tax thing is a big
hoax by which the government is fooling people to make them pay money,
even though there's no law to support that. It is claimed that, for example,
former IRS employees have come out on the open and stated that this is so,
that the whole thing is a scam, and that they haven't paid any taxes ever
since they discovered the fact, and have been doing that with impunity for
years.

  One would think that the above is just a big practical joke. Something
you send in a chainmail or something. However, it seems that many people
are actually seriously pushing forward that conspiracy theory.

  Of course if people start believing it, they will be in big trouble.
They will go to jail for tax evasion, and in many cases lives and families
will be ruined. All because of a joke some people took seriously.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> the relevant amendment to the constitution was not properly ratified,

The interesting thing here is that amendment actually *limits* what income
tax can be collected, not enables it. Income tax was already legal before
the amendment.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

>    I think this is another example of a conspiracy theory which is actually
> going to cause harm to people, at least in the US:
>
>    It seems that in recent years there has been an increasingly popular
> conspiracy theory in the United States that claims that having to pay
> income tax is unconstitutional, the relevant amendment to the constitution
> was not properly ratified, there is no actual law in the US which requires
> people to pay income taxes, and hence the whole income tax thing is a big
> hoax by which the government is fooling people to make them pay money,
> even though there's no law to support that. It is claimed that, for example,
> former IRS employees have come out on the open and stated that this is so,
> that the whole thing is a scam, and that they haven't paid any taxes ever
> since they discovered the fact, and have been doing that with impunity for
> years.
>
>    One would think that the above is just a big practical joke. Something
> you send in a chainmail or something. However, it seems that many people
> are actually seriously pushing forward that conspiracy theory.
>
>    Of course if people start believing it, they will be in big trouble.
> They will go to jail for tax evasion, and in many cases lives and families
> will be ruined. All because of a joke some people took seriously.

Snort. A few of the Tead-off Party have been making claims not *that*
far off from this. Though, my favorite is that the "Department of
Education", which sets "minimal" guidelines, yet is prevented from, and
mandated to allow, local, state board, setting their own standards and
curriculum, "ruined" the education system, and should be abolished. You
know, because state board run by people with "no" background or
expertise in education, or even subjects, harassing teachers and
administrators, the later of which is "often" just as unqualified to run
a school, and tend to have their own list of things they don't want
people to do, even if they work better, has *nothing* to do with the
problem. The states, see, can't make mistakes, and things like replacing
science with creationism isn't a mistake, but Big Gubment telling you
that you need to be able to spell "spell", or know 2 + 2 = 4, without
consulting your toes, is **bad**, and the real reason the education
system is so screwed up. Its not the fact that the BOE can't force
states to do jack they should be, and the states have the power to allow
parents to pull kids out of classes, no-nothings to undermine the
system, uneducated people to decide the curriculum, and even anti-public
school people from being elected to the organizations "supposedly" there
to decide how to best save them...

Its just like big business. The problem isn't the poor, often
incomplete, gap riddled, and even, sometimes, misguided regulations,
which allowed companies to do stupid thing, its the **existence** of
those limited, hamstrung, semi-effectual rules. Nope, people are just
not being Libertarian about things, and making people pay taxes, follow
rules, and, to some minimum degree, with the hope we will outgrow such
stupid BS, stop treating each other like shit, because we are the wrong
color, age, sex, economic caste, political affiliation, or wrong part of
the country/state/tracks.

That is the whole point of these conspiracy theories. To let a small
number of assholes rob us of the ability to curtail their own excesses,
while we are too busy arresting people failing to pay $100 income tax,
to notice the bastard that started it, who just found 3.4 billion
dollars in loop holes, and got a $1,000 tax *refund*.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();