POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interactive Huffman compression Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Interactive Huffman compression (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Interactive Huffman compression
Date: 22 Oct 2010 15:32:35
Message: <4cc1e6d3$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/10/2010 07:49 PM, Florian Pesth wrote:
> Nice!

Thanks. I've spent my entire week developing this.

> P.S.: It hangs with one character compression (not that it makes any
> sense :))

Yes, I failed to take into account this possibility. (Although I'm
actually a bit surprised about exactly where it fails - it should make
it past that particular step OK.)

In fact it falls over if the input contains only one unique character;
you can have twenty of them, it'll still fall over. It's a limitation of
the algorithm, but the program should fail more gracefully than that.

(If you haven't tried it yet, it fails on empty input too.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/