POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's Google again Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  It's Google again (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: It's Google again
Date: 10 Sep 2010 07:45:00
Message: <web.4c8a194f9911579b34d207310@news.povray.org>
Topic change:

I was trying to search for a public religious figure, Paull E. Spring [sic].  I
typed into the search bar, "Rev. Paull E. Spring." Google's answer is:

>> Showing results for Rev. Paul E. Spring.
>> Search instead for Rev. Paull E. Spring

Then when I click on the thing I actually asked for, I get my literal text
showing up in the first two entries.

On another occasion, I was searching for an Asian-American U.S. citizen who has
a very Asian-sounding name.  I *never* found him on Google, even though he's a
professor at an American university.  Google basically gave me every Asian whose
name started with that J.  (I believe in that case I also used + signs).

On a third occasion, I was trying to search for creative-commons licensed music
collections at archive.org.  I thought I'd hit on a cool approach by using the
"link:http://foo.org" URL for creative commons (using a syntax that exists on
some of the archive music pages).   Result: I get basically every site with a
URL, because of the spelling permutations.

Of course it's asinine.
Q: Is it actually a sound engineering approach-- does Google expend less units
of "energy enough to boil a cup of tea" by giving people common expressions
first?
Q: Could it have come about by a engineering decision-making process that is
scientifically flawed according to Confirmation Bias:  "I instituted this change
in the algorithm, and tons of people clicked on the URL's provided, so therefore
it is the right decision."

Post a reply to this message

"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Topic change:
>
> I was trying to search for a public religious figure, Paull E. Spring [sic].  I
> typed into the search bar, "Rev. Paull E. Spring." Google's answer is:
>
> >> Showing results for Rev. Paul E. Spring.
> >> Search instead for Rev. Paull E. Spring
>
> Then when I click on the thing I actually asked for, I get my literal text
> showing up in the first two entries.

I get lots of links for both, none from you.

Perhaps you have a bad char encoding that is messing up searches?

Post a reply to this message

> "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > Topic change:
> >
> > I was trying to search for a public religious figure, Paull E. Spring [sic].  I
> > typed into the search bar, "Rev. Paull E. Spring." Google's answer is:

> > Then when I click on the thing I actually asked for, I get my literal text
> > showing up in the first two entries.
>
> I get lots of links for both, none from you.
>
> Perhaps you have a bad char encoding that is messing up searches?

WHOA.

I *have* always detested all the extra characters that firefox (or google)
inserts into the URL.  Perhaps somewhere I have in my account an "idiot = ON"
setting.

But my Firefox search doesn't show the guy:
http://bit.ly/cMHkMN

But I get the same thing in Safari:
http://bit.ly/bn87ml

AND my problem with that Asian prof was off an Android phone.

So you get a reasonable response to that "Paull" query?  Any tips on how to fix
Google?

Post a reply to this message