POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  imperial vs metric (Message 15 to 24 of 54)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: imperial vs metric
Date: 24 Aug 2010 12:11:45
Message: <4c73ef41@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 02:05:56 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> > Oh come on, you are not dividing, just shifting the decimal point.
>>
>> Which by definition, mathematically, is division (or multiplication if
>> it's the other direction).
>
> still, it doesn't demand any calculation at all to correlate 1.80 meters
> to 1 meter and 80 cm or to 180 cm.  They are all equivalent, even in
> digits...

But not in decimal points.  It's still division/multiplication by 10, no
matter how you describe how it looks.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 24 Aug 2010 12:18:02
Message: <4c73f0ba$1@news.povray.org>
>> Shifts are perfectly legitimate mathematical operations. Many of the
>> things computers do couldn't be done easily without a shift operation :P
>
> Binary shifts are multiplication and division as well. :P

What you want is binary rotations. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Aug 2010 12:45:39
Message: <4c73f733$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/08/2010 2:56 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> It's true then. Americans don't walk much. :-P
>
> Well, I mean, there's a small multiple right? It's not like you can only
> drink one pint of beer, either. :-) Walking somewhere between 0.1 and 10
> miles is convenient. Outside that, you're going to measure in yards or
> you're going to take a horse.

Just pulling your leg Cuz. ;-)

>> We use stones for weighing people. For instance I am 12 stones but I
>> would like to be 11 and a half. Or 11-7, that is 11 stones 7 pounds or
>> 73 Kg.
>
> Cool. Where is this?

Here's a clue
http://tinyurl.com/6zz4l7

>>> There's nothing lighter than an ounce,
>>
>> What about a dram (not a "wee dram" ;-) ) there are 16 of them in an
>> ounce and 437.5 grains in an ounce.
>
> I wasn't sure if a dram was imperial or not.

It has a crown, does it not? :-)

>> This is true but I would measure the length to be 12' 9" or 12 foot 9
>> (inches is understood).
>
> Yes, exactly. The construction rulers here measure in both inches and
> feet, so it's trivial to get either measurement in situations where
> people use both scales.

We're going metric and have rulers with inches on one edge and
centimetres on the other. (Rotated 180 degrees so you can't do a direct
comparison/conversion.)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

I don't know. That doesn't do anything except give me a blank page.

> We're going metric and have rulers with inches on one edge and
> centimetres on the other. (Rotated 180 degrees so you can't do a direct
> comparison/conversion.)

Yeah, that's how our measuring tapes are too. Except the inches side has
both feet+inches and inches.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: