POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : P != NP ? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  P != NP ? (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: P != NP ?
Date: 9 Aug 2010 17:23:35
Message: <4c6071d7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   If the proof results to be correct, I think a *lot* of people out there
> are going to sigh in relief (because an enormous amount of math and
> practical computer code out there rely on the assumption that P != NP).

This is not to argue with your point, which I imagine is correct, but
were you thinking of any particular example of useful code which P!=NP
would ensure the applicability/correctness of?  I can certainly think of
many things that P=NP would mess up, but nothing comes to mind which
couldn't still be messed up despite P!=NP holding.  Or were you more
just saying that P!=NP at least removes one possible way that, for
instance, modern cryptography could be broken?

Post a reply to this message