POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 70 hours Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  70 hours (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: clipka
Subject: 70 hours
Date: 21 Jul 2010 11:58:34
Message: <4c47192a$1@news.povray.org>
I'm currently reading a 30-year old paperback collection of "science
fiction" short stories. Well, essentially not much science in there,
mostly just rather lousy future fiction (well, what would have been
future back then). However, one just seriously caught my attention:

If you should ever run across a copy of Vernor Vinge's '67 short story
"The Accomplice" (German: "Der Mitarbeiter"), make sure to get hold of
it at least long enough to read it - that is, provided you happen to
have enjoyed Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, are into
3D rendering (heck, you better should, 'cause I can't think of any other
reason to subscribe to povray newsgroups ;-)), and agree that Jackson's
trilogy can be considered a milestone in CG effects.

I guess it's not a mere coincidence that Vinge chose Tolkien's
masterpiece to feature in "The Accomplice".

Of course he was quite off the mark in various respects - but hey,
Jackson's movies did win a few Academy Awards, didn't they?