POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Advanced annoyance Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Advanced annoyance (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Advanced annoyance
Date: 16 Jul 2010 05:20:04
Message: <4c402444@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I'm guessing moisture would be seriously suboptimal here?
>
> Yes, even absolutely tiny amounts will make the LC useless.

Really? I thought it might just make the edges go a bit fuzzy or
something...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 16 Jul 2010 05:54:21
Message: <4c402c4d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, even absolutely tiny amounts will make the LC useless.
>
> Really? I thought it might just make the edges go a bit fuzzy or
> something...

Something to do with how the moisture gets absorbed by the LC, of course it
starts from the edges wherever there is the "leak", but it quickly spreads
across the whole panel until you don't get any picture.  I suspect the water
molecules are severely impacting on the electrical/optical properties of the
LC, and given that you're talking about a thickness of a couple of microns
you don't need many water molecules to mess things up!

Post a reply to this message

>>> Yes, even absolutely tiny amounts will make the LC useless.
>>
>> Really? I thought it might just make the edges go a bit fuzzy or
>> something...
>
> Something to do with how the moisture gets absorbed by the LC, of course
> it starts from the edges wherever there is the "leak", but it quickly
> spreads across the whole panel until you don't get any picture.  I
> suspect the water molecules are severely impacting on the
> electrical/optical properties of the LC, and given that you're talking
> about a thickness of a couple of microns you don't need many water
> molecules to mess things up!

I was under the impression that a liquid crystal is an organic molecule
dissolved in water. So I'm guessing changing the concentration is going
to fairly radically alter the optics of the material, and possibly even
turn it from a liquid crystal into a plain ordinary liquid.

Then again, I don't design LCDs for a living. ;-)