POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh. Joy. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Oh. Joy. (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Oh. Joy.
Date: 8 Jul 2010 14:15:42
Message: <4c3615ce@news.povray.org>
> So when the instruction book for your car tells you how much pressure to put
> in your tires, do they really say "put 206,000 newtons of pressure in your
> tires"?

  I think you are confusing force (newtons) with pressure (pascals), which
is force per unit area.

  Things like air pressure are measured in pascals or, more traditionally,
in bars (1 bar = 100 kilopascals), and sometimes (even though rarely
nowadays) in atmospheres (1 atm = 101325 Pa).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I think you are confusing force (newtons) with pressure (pascals), which
> is force per unit area.

Yes.

>   Things like air pressure are measured in pascals or, more traditionally,
> in bars (1 bar = 100 kilopascals), and sometimes (even though rarely
> nowadays) in atmospheres (1 atm = 101325 Pa).

Ah, thank you. I never really learned what a "bar" was.  So one bar is
approximately one atmosphere? That sounds about useful.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback

Post a reply to this message

> Ah, thank you. I never really learned what a "bar" was.  So one bar is
> approximately one atmosphere? That sounds about useful.

See the other thread about Andrew's heating system, it's also useful that 1
bar ~= 10 metres of water for quick estimations.

Post a reply to this message

>> Ah, thank you. I never really learned what a "bar" was.  So one bar is
>> approximately one atmosphere? That sounds about useful.
>
> See the other thread about Andrew's heating system, it's also useful
> that 1 bar ~= 10 metres of water for quick estimations.

Or 1 bar ~= 34 feet of water. (In real money) ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jul 2010 03:51:51
Message: <4c36d517$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Or 1 bar ~= 34 feet of water. (In real money) ;-)

As opposed to what? The square root of -1 money? :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Jul 2010 05:16:08
Message: <4c36e8d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/07/2010 8:51 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
>> Or 1 bar ~= 34 feet of water. (In real money) ;-)
>
> As opposed to what? The square root of -1 money? :-P

As opposed to new money. £sd -> £p.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jul 2010 05:25:30
Message: <4c36eb0a$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Or 1 bar ~= 34 feet of water. (In real money) ;-)
>>
>> As opposed to what? The square root of -1 money? :-P
>
> As opposed to new money. £sd -> £p.

There are 10^0 + 1 kinds of people...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Jul 2010 06:41:39
Message: <4c36fce3@news.povray.org>
On 09/07/2010 10:25 AM, Invisible wrote:

>>> As opposed to what? The square root of -1 money? :-P
>>
>> As opposed to new money. £sd -> £p.
>
> There are 10^0 + 1 kinds of people...

Yeah, thee and me. ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jul 2010 06:42:16
Message: <4c36fd08$1@news.povray.org>

>>> As opposed to new money. £sd -> £p.
>>
>> There are 10^0 + 1 kinds of people...
>
> Yeah, thee and me. ;-)

Aye.

(Or should that be "i"?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 9 Jul 2010 06:55:17
Message: <4c370015@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> it's also useful that 1 bar ~= 10 metres of water for quick estimations.

  I didn't quite understand that.

--
                                                          - Warp