POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Got bottle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Got bottle (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Got bottle
Date: 6 Jul 2010 14:00:41
Message: <4c336f49$1@news.povray.org>
>> What happens to objects smaller than the Plank length?
>
> Mu.
>

> The question is meaningless.

...as is my humour, apparently...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jul 2010 15:54:44
Message: <4c338a04$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:00:39 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> What happens to objects smaller than the Plank length?
>>
>> Mu.
>>

>> The question is meaningless.
>
> ...as is my humour, apparently...

I found the entire thing to be funny - and have shared it. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 6 Jul 2010 23:01:23
Message: <4c33ee03$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:

I found Invisible's summary to be a bit confusing, and also seemed to
have a semi-important error, so here's another quick summary:

The Aleph numbers are "cardinals" which means they represent the size of
sets.  Aleph_0 is the first infinite cardinal, which is equal to the
size of the set of natural numbers.  Aleph_1 is the next size that a set
can have which is larger than Aleph_0.  Beth_1 is the size of the set of
all real numbers, and it can be proven that the size of this set is a
"larger infinity" than the size of the set of all natural numbers (so
Beth_1 > Aleph_0).  It cannot be proven by standard set theory whether
or not Beth_1 = Aleph_1.  Put another way, it is impossible to prove
whether or not there are sets which have a size between that of the
natural numbers and that of the real numbers.

Post a reply to this message

On 7/6/2010 10:01 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Mike Raiford wrote:
>>

> I found Invisible's summary to be a bit confusing, and also seemed to
> have a semi-important error, so here's another quick summary:
>
> The Aleph numbers are "cardinals" which means they represent the size of
> sets. Aleph_0 is the first infinite cardinal, which is equal to the size
> of the set of natural numbers. Aleph_1 is the next size that a set can
> have which is larger than Aleph_0. Beth_1 is the size of the set of all
> real numbers, and it can be proven that the size of this set is a
> "larger infinity" than the size of the set of all natural numbers (so
> Beth_1 > Aleph_0). It cannot be proven by standard set theory whether or
> not Beth_1 = Aleph_1. Put another way, it is impossible to prove whether
> or not there are sets which have a size between that of the natural
> numbers and that of the real numbers.

Ok, that makes sense to me now. Yeah, I think my original post was a bit
mistaken ... I realized pretty quickly after Andrew's posting what it
meant, but I don't quite think I had the right words to express what I
was thinking.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message