POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  The computer project (Message 141 to 150 of 180)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: The computer project
Date: 14 Jun 2010 11:30:01
Message: <web.4c1649e39d5e91c5558756810@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 10:33 PM, nemesis wrote:
>
> > Designing a GPU for PS4 may sound glamurous, but I guess if you were the
> > japanese guy working 30 hours a day under lots of pressure you'd actually think
> > of suicide... :P
>
> What I didn't realize was that the Japanese were able to alter the very
> fabric of time... 30 hours a day? Really?

do you understand the basics of humor? ;)

in any case, I wouldn't be surprised they do... :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jun 2010 11:40:12
Message: <4c164d5c$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> given the clean-room requirements and high-resolution photo-etching
> process.

Except that it's pretty much mostly automated. It's a huge capital expense,
and then automated after that. And when there's only a couple of fabs in the
whole world, the amount of business they get pays off the fab pretty
quickly. Basically the prices are set to make a decent profit by the time
the fab's technology is outdated.

> Not heard of GPIB, so I looked it up. Apparently aka IEEE-488 surprised

Wow. Even *I* heard of both of those years ago. :-)

> they're not using Ethernet or something less obsolete

Which ethernet? Thick? Thin Coax? cat-5?  Test equipment like this is
expected to last decades.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly

Post a reply to this message