POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's random thing Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:44 EDT (-0400)
  Today's random thing (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Today's random thing
Date: 6 Jun 2010 15:58:49
Message: <4c0bfdf9$1@news.povray.org>
http://seriss.com/people/erco/2001/

Slit-scan photography, eh?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Today's random thing
Date: 10 Jun 2010 10:13:51
Message: <4c10f31f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Slit-scan photography, eh?

What *I* can't figure out is how the hell they did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIS3jhIncj0

The colours appear to be a simple overlay, but how the hell did they
produce those complex patterns?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 10 Jun 2010 11:11:36
Message: <4c1100a8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.06.2010 16:13, schrieb Invisible:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIS3jhIncj0
>
> The colours appear to be a simple overlay, but how the hell did they
> produce those complex patterns?

Complex? Looks like a simple video feedback effect to me: You aim the
camera at a monitor showing the camera's image. Depending on how you
tilt and/or zoom the camera, you'll get this type of spiraling stuff,
once you've "initialized" this feedback loop with some initial image.
Add some vibration (well, you don't normally need to add this, it's
probably there anyway), and you get slight variations in the effect. Add
some automatic brightness adjustment, and you'll get some rhythmic
pulsing. Mix in some other signal to get more control over the
"evolution" of the patterns, and/or to fade the effect.

It's kind of like the video version of those synthesizers that were all
the rage at about the same time.

Post a reply to this message