POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Off off topic Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Off off topic (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Off off topic
Date: 3 Jun 2010 19:18:11
Message: <4c083833$1@news.povray.org>
These seem rather pov-able:

http://www.urlesque.com/2010/04/29/minds-eye-vhs-series-90s-graphics/

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Off off topic
Date: 4 Jun 2010 12:19:17
Message: <4c092785@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.urlesque.com/2010/04/29/minds-eye-vhs-series-90s-graphics/

  Wow, those graphics are really crappy even by 90's standards (consider
that eg. Terminator 2 was made in 1991 and Jurassic Park in 1993).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Jun 2010 13:11:57
Message: <4c0933dd$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/4/2010 11:19 AM, Warp wrote:

>    Wow, those graphics are really crappy even by 90's standards (consider
> that eg. Terminator 2 was made in 1991 and Jurassic Park in 1993).

And yet, they remind me very much of the early days of POV-Ray (back
when it was PV-Ray.)

I think even Luxo Jr had been around for a while back then.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:09:47 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> On 6/4/2010 11:19 AM, Warp wrote:
>

>>    Wow, those graphics are really crappy even by 90's standards
>>    (consider
>> that eg. Terminator 2 was made in 1991 and Jurassic Park in 1993).
>>

> And yet, they remind me very much of the early days of POV-Ray (back
> when it was PV-Ray.)
>
> I think even Luxo Jr had been around for a while back then.

Yep, I think I even still have those VHS tapes around here somewhere. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> >    Wow, those graphics are really crappy even by 90's standards (consider
> > that eg. Terminator 2 was made in 1991 and Jurassic Park in 1993).
> >

> And yet, they remind me very much of the early days of POV-Ray (back
> when it was PV-Ray.)

> I think even Luxo Jr had been around for a while back then.

  OTOH, nowadays you can create pretty much T2-looking graphics with free
tools, while back in the early 90's you would have to pay at least thousands
of dollars if you wanted to get even close... Back then movie CGI effects
were really expensive.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > >    Wow, those graphics are really crappy even by 90's standards (consider
> > > that eg. Terminator 2 was made in 1991 and Jurassic Park in 1993).
> > >

> > And yet, they remind me very much of the early days of POV-Ray (back
> > when it was PV-Ray.)
>
> > I think even Luxo Jr had been around for a while back then.
>
>   OTOH, nowadays you can create pretty much T2-looking graphics with free
> tools, while back in the early 90's you would have to pay at least thousands
> of dollars if you wanted to get even close... Back then movie CGI effects
> were really expensive.

OTOH, I've seen some povray animations from IRTC from those days that look on
par with those. :)  and that's a one-man amateur job!