POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Electronics research (Message 1 to 10 of 104)
From: Invisible
Subject: Electronics research
Date: 19 May 2010 07:07:32
Message: <4bf3c674$1@news.povray.org>
Ah yes. That's the fun thing about doing digital electronics. You can't
just *buy* a 7400. No, you have to decide whether you want a 74LS00 or a
74HC00 or a 74HCT00 or...

Reading the datasheets is like walking into another world. (Especially
since the datasheets are usually poorly-scanned grainy PDFs that don't
match the part number you actually asked about!)

However, I just found the following pages:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/ic.htm#logic
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/74series.htm
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/cmos.htm

Suddenly everything seems so much clearer. For example...

"74LS series: Inputs 'float' high to logic 1 if unconnected."

Oh crap. Well that would explain a thing or two! >_<

(I foolishly assumed that being unconnected would register as 0V - i.e.,
logic 0. Damn, this is going to make interactive testing *so* much harder!)

Also, it's nice to have some indication of the power requirements,
switching frequencies, and what the hell all the letter codes mean!

Post a reply to this message

> "74LS series: Inputs 'float' high to logic 1 if unconnected."
>
> Oh crap. Well that would explain a thing or two! >_<

You should never be leaving any inputs as floating anyway, that's just
asking for trouble (for example if you use a different IC series later).
Best to always tie your inputs to whatever you want them to be.

Post a reply to this message