POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  SCIENCE! (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: SCIENCE!
Date: 24 May 2010 03:41:08
Message: <4bfa2d94$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/23/2010 5:31 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> There was an article I'd seen once about creating life on a computer,
> how they aimed the evolution of a certain batch of things to be
> calculators, and while a bunch got to a point where they were correctly
> doing addition and stuff, when they looked at how they were doing it no
> two were alike and most went about it in a really weird way...and that
> another batch 'played dead' when run through a test environment to
> survive to pass on their 'genes', but only in the test environment, and
> resumed normal function outside.
>
> Anybody have any idea how I might find the original of that again?
> Anything I think of to search for on Google is too general.
>
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.byethost8.com
You are looking for "Avida".

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Tim Cook
Date: 24 May 2010 16:14:16
Message: <4bfade18$1@news.povray.org>
On 2010-05-24 03:41, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You are looking for "Avida".

So I am...and in fact, the article linked at the bottom of Wikipedia was
exactly the article I used to have.  Thanks!  Now to hunt down a few
other articles I used to have...a few about the attempts at artificial
eyes, and a particular one about altruism in the context of evolution.