POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A sad day Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  A sad day (Message 21 to 30 of 30)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A sad day
Date: 20 May 2010 13:08:34
Message: <4bf56c92@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:06:27 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, in the OSS world, there tends to be a focus on code rather than
>> on documenting it.
>
> Unfortunately, most people don't seem to realize that a *library* with
> no documentation is worse than useless.

Yeah, that's very *very* true.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 May 2010 13:15:41
Message: <4bf56e3d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unfortunately, most people don't seem to realize that a *library* with
>> no documentation is worse than useless.
>
> Yeah, that's very *very* true.

It could be worse; it could have *incorrect* documentation. (!!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 20 May 2010 14:29:13
Message: <4bf57f79$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, most people don't seem to realize that a *library* with
>>> no documentation is worse than useless.
>>
>> Yeah, that's very *very* true.
>
> It could be worse; it could have *incorrect* documentation. (!!)

Not really. Usually there's two kinds of incorrect documentation:

1) Documentation that has bugs in it, which is no worse than a library that
has bugs in it.

2) Documentation for the wrong product shipped. Which is pretty much
equivalent to "no documentation" when you discover that's what happened.
Annoying to spend a couple of days trying to figure out how to get something
to work as documented, finally ask on the newsgroups, and be told "We never
documented that. We just shipped the 1.x docs with the 2.x product." Woulda
been nice to know!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, in the OSS world, there tends to be a focus on code rather than
>> on documenting it.
>
> Unfortunately, most people don't seem to realize that a *library* with
> no documentation is worse than useless.

Good libraries should be intuitive and self-evident enough.  Bad
libraries shouldn't be used anyway.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>>> Yeah, that's very *very* true.
>>
>> It could be worse; it could have *incorrect* documentation. (!!)
>
> Not really. Usually there's two kinds of incorrect documentation:
>
> 1) Documentation that has bugs in it, which is no worse than a library
> that has bugs in it.
>
> 2) Documentation for the wrong product shipped. Which is pretty much
> equivalent to "no documentation" when you discover that's what happened.
> Annoying to spend a couple of days trying to figure out how to get
> something to work as documented, finally ask on the newsgroups, and be
> told "We never documented that. We just shipped the 1.x docs with the
> 2.x product." Woulda been nice to know!

So you've never come across documentation that says "setting this value
negative uses the smallest supported value", when in fact setting it
negative causes a segfault?

Then again, would that be a documentation bug or a library bug? I guess
the choice is arbitrary...

Post a reply to this message