POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Prehistoric dust (Message 41 to 50 of 145)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Dusty
Date: 18 May 2010 14:01:52
Message: <4bf2d610$1@news.povray.org>
>> It still somewhat blows my mind that you could do anything useful with
>> so little memory. Presumably for processing large datasets, most of
>> the data at any one time would be in secondary storage?
>
> Large datasets then were also very tiny compared to large datasets of
> today. :)

Sure. But 1MB is such a tiny amount of memory, it could only hold a few
thousand records (depending on their size). It would almost be faster to
process them by hand then go to all the trouble of punching cards and
feeding them through a computer. So it must have been possible to
process larger datasets than that somehow.

> see the revolution that were programs like ed (and its successor vi) in
> bringing flexible terminal text editing rather than wasting tons of
> paper... :)

...not to mention card...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/