POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Prehistoric dust (Message 31 to 40 of 145)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Dusty
Date: 18 May 2010 12:33:33
Message: <4bf2c15d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> So the concept of a filesystem storing named files already existed at
> this time?

Generally, yes. But you usually wound up pre-allocating files, and they were
contiguous on disk.

> Interesting. So the system actually "knows" where each field of a record
> is then?

Records were fixed size, so it was trivial to calculate.

>> I doubt that the internal processor speed is that much different than
>> current
>> PCs, but the i/o bandwidth is much higher in the mainframe.
>
> Really? I didn't think anybody had mainframes any more... just big
> server farms.

The people who want to do lots of I/O have machines where instead of GPUs
they have IOPs.  A 800,000 line phone switch, for example, is pretty much
all IOP, with something like a 68000 running the actual switching part.

Of course, what one might call a "PC" nowadays has a terabyte of RAM and 96
quad-core processor chips, so the lines blur.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid

Post a reply to this message