POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  The Babbage Flaw (Message 62 to 71 of 111)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The Babbage Flaw
Date: 13 May 2010 15:30:10
Message: <4bec5342$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:28:15 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> But I do agree that oobase isn't the best piece of software - I've used
>> it quite a bit for accessing things like Oracle tables, and the setup
>> could be a lot smoother.  Supports ODBC and JDBC, though, so that's
>> something.
>
> Oracle is a nice product, but if you just want to store your phonebook
> or your CD collection, it's way way overkill. I will say one thing about
> MS Access: It may be an utterly crap DB engine, but if all you want to
> do is store and lookup a little bit of data, it's the most lightweight
> thing I've seen. You get the DB engine and a nice front-end and a design
> tool, all in one. It's not very *good*, but for small things it's
> right-sized.

Well, yeah - I'd be more inclined to use MySQL, but some apps on Linux to
do things like tracking a CD collection use SQLite on the backend (heck,
my newsreader uses it).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 May 2010 15:30:33
Message: <4bec5359@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> The go-oo implementation has a subset of VBA included in it (I understand
> it's a fairly sizeable subset, but I've never needed to use it).

I'll have to look and see what it does.

I'd still prefer REXX. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:29:29 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I'm guessing JavaScript? (Or maybe even Java, of course...)

There is some Java support, yes.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Oracle is a nice product, but if you just want to store your phonebook
>> or your CD collection, it's way way overkill. I will say one thing about
>> MS Access: It may be an utterly crap DB engine, but if all you want to
>> do is store and lookup a little bit of data, it's the most lightweight
>> thing I've seen. You get the DB engine and a nice front-end and a design
>> tool, all in one. It's not very *good*, but for small things it's
>> right-sized.
>
> Well, yeah - I'd be more inclined to use MySQL, but some apps on Linux to
> do things like tracking a CD collection use SQLite on the backend (heck,
> my newsreader uses it).

Sure. But you'd have to have MySQL installed, then you'd have to create
a folder to put the files in, then execute several dozen raw SQL
commands to manually build the database, create the log files, build the
tables, then you'd have to configure the access controls, and then you
can configure Base to talk to it.

In MS Access, you click "file > new", select a filename, and you're
done. See what I mean?

Of course, MySQL (and other DB engines) can do all sorts of other fancy
stuff that MS Access will never manage. (*cough* file security,
anybody?) But for simple things, it's much quicker.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/