POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fake AV Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Fake AV (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Invisible
Subject: Fake AV
Date: 11 May 2010 07:35:46
Message: <4be94112$1@news.povray.org>
http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2010/04/rise-of-fake-anti-virus.html

This looks suspeciously like what happened to one of the computers here
at work the other day. The AV software insists that there's nothing
wrong even after multiple scans, but when a certain user logs in,
windows pop up all over the place warning of a dire malware infection.

Now I can understand visiting a website and getting a browser window pop
up rendered to look like the Windows Security Center (although isn't the
titlebar supposed to indicate it's a browser window?), but I am
mystified as to how this software can open windows just because somebody
logged into the PC. This surely indicates that something has been
installed locally. And yet repeated AV scans detect nothing...

In the end, erasing the user profile silenced the popups forever. But
I'd still wondering how the hell it got this way in the first place.

Post a reply to this message

> logged into the PC. This surely indicates that something has been
> installed locally. And yet repeated AV scans detect nothing...

You could just use one of those "spy" tools (forget which one now, but
former SysInternals probably have something) to check which process owns the
fake AV alert window.  Then just see where it's running from, or google the
name or whatever.

Post a reply to this message