POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Not a geek (Message 31 to 40 of 259)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Not a geek
Date: 11 May 2010 04:11:59
Message: <4be9114f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Ask some random person "who is Einstein?" and they'll instantly know he
>> was a world-famous scientist.
>>
>> Ask somebody who Richard Dawkins is and see how many of them actually
>> have any clue. (I've only heard of him because I read the book he
>> wrote.)
>
> Well, again, he's written several, so which did you read?

Uh... I can't actually remember the title now. Let me go check...

...OK, the copy on his website has different cover art [sigh], but I
believe it was Climbing Mount Improbable.

> But in my circles, Richard Dawkins is quite well know.  So's Jane
> Goodall, for that matter.

My point being that you don't need to be in any particular "circles" to
know who Einstein or Newton is. Even very small children have heard the
tale of how Newton was hit on the head by an apple. (I wonder if that
myth actually happened?)

Everybody has heard of Archimedies, even if they're not sure exactly
what he did.

Unfortunately, there's nobody alive today of quite the same stature -
except perhaps Steven Hawking.

Post a reply to this message