POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 151 to 160 of 216)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Baffling
Date: 28 Apr 2010 09:44:16
Message: <4bd83bb0$1@news.povray.org>
>> Again, that's all very nice. But unless you have insane levels of
>> bandwidth available, it's not going to work.
>>
>> There's nothing theoretically difficult about sending video data over
>> the Internet. The problem is the bandwidth.
>

> Meh, I had a 1Mbit DSL connection for a long time, and my wife could be
> watching Youtube videos of kids playing with cats, and I could watch a
> netflix film at very decent quality w/o interruption for buffering. Of
> course now, with my cable internet bandwidth is no longer an issue... ;)

It is utterly baffling to me that this is possible. In my experience,
YouTube on its own is very unreliable. At certain times of day it's just
unusuable, while at other times it's just about stable. (I guess this is
probably due more to server load than end-user bandwidth though.)

Even when it works properly, the quality is nowhere near TV quality.
Same for BBC iPlayer, 4 on demand and all those others. As soon as you
make it go fullscreen, it looks horrifyingly blurry and covered in
compression artifacts. You certainly wouldn't bother paying money to
watch a *movie* at such low quality...

Post a reply to this message