POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too much thinking Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Too much thinking (Message 11 to 20 of 29)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Too much thinking
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:21:42
Message: <4BD0A1C3.9090708@gmail.com>
On 22-4-2010 20:13, Warp wrote:
>>>   That's easy: At least 1 THz.
>
>> At 1 THz, 1 picosecond would only be a single clock cycle. You would
>> imagine that self-awareness would require billions of clock cycles.
>
>   Not if it's highly parallel.

isn't the estimated clock frequency of a human brain in the order of 100Hz?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:34:12
Message: <4bd0a4b4$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> isn't the estimated clock frequency of a human brain in the order of 100Hz?

The human brain doesn't have a clock frequency.  That's approx the firing
rate of a neuron, tho.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: andrel
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:45:15
Message: <4BD0A748.2080701@gmail.com>
On 22-4-2010 21:34, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> isn't the estimated clock frequency of a human brain in the order of
>> 100Hz?
>
> The human brain doesn't have a clock frequency.  That's approx the
> firing rate of a neuron, tho.

There have been asynchronous microprocessors, people also specify a
'clock'-rate for those.

I know that eventhough a single neuron fires maximally in that order of
magnitude you need a much smaller timescale to simulate a brain. But
explaining that is not as funny.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Apr 2010 15:58:15
Message: <4bd0aa57$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   That's easy: At least 1 THz.
>
>> At 1 THz, 1 picosecond would only be a single clock cycle. You would
>> imagine that self-awareness would require billions of clock cycles.
>
>   Not if it's highly parallel.

Ah, good point!

>>>   Have any more difficult questions?
>
>> How do I get people to pay me to do fun things?
>
>   Become a male stripper.

No no - things that are fun *for me*! :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: andrel
Date: 22 Apr 2010 16:00:16
Message: <4BD0AACE.90309@gmail.com>
On 22-4-2010 21:58, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> How do I get people to pay me to do fun things?
>>
>>   Become a male stripper.
>
> No no - things that are fun *for me*! :-P

I though you liked to dance.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Apr 2010 16:05:26
Message: <4bd0ac06$1@news.povray.org>

>>>   Become a male stripper.
>>
>> No no - things that are fun *for me*! :-P
>
> I though you liked to dance.

Sometimes I wander if I should hang out somewhere _else_ on the Internet...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: somebody
Date: 22 Apr 2010 19:26:46
Message: <4bd0db36$1@news.povray.org>
> >> Question: What the HELL is the clock speed of GLaDOS?! o_O
> >
> > Question: What the HELL is GLaDOS?! o_O
>
> Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System.
>
> Otherwise known as "that psychotic computer from Portal".

OK, that explains it (I think... I won't ask what Portal is). The answer
then is 456.2 YHz.

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 22 Apr 2010 19:29:26
Message: <4bd0dbd6$1@news.povray.org>

> >> No no - things that are fun *for me*! :-P

> > I though you liked to dance.

> Sometimes I wander if I should hang out somewhere _else_ on the
Internet...

Don't we all wonder if you should wander...

Post a reply to this message

From: SÅ‚awomir Szczyrba
Date: 23 Apr 2010 03:50:42
Message: <slrn.ht2kab.umd.steev@hot.pl>
Hello, Invisible. You're right on time.
> Random fact #1: If a processor has a 1 GHz clock, then it takes 1 ns to
> complete a single clock cycle.
>
> Random fact #2: It is claimed that GLaDOS become self-aware within the
> first picosecond of being switched on.
>
> Random fact #3: There are 1,000 picoseconds in 1 nanosecond.
>
> Question: What the HELL is the clock speed of GLaDOS?! o_O

0Hz ( if 'She' is a quantum computer ) ;)

Slawek
--
  ________
_/ __/ __/

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Apr 2010 04:11:34
Message: <4bd15636$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Question: What the HELL is GLaDOS?! o_O
>> Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System.
>>
>> Otherwise known as "that psychotic computer from Portal".
>
> OK, that explains it (I think... I won't ask what Portal is).

Portal? You know, the multi-award-winning computer game that took the
world by storm a few years back?

OK, well maybe it didn't, but if you've ever heard anybody on the
Internet suggest that "the cake is a lie", this is why.

> The answer then is 456.2 YHz.

Haha. I had to actually look that up.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>