POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Context switching (Message 63 to 72 of 222)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Context switching
Date: 21 Apr 2010 20:38:13
Message: <4bcf9a75@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:20:25 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure that's not part of Yast, tho.
>
> Yep, it is - firewall configuration, masquerading.  That should do it.

Cool, thanks!  Now that you mention it, I remember hearing that term.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 20:44:44
Message: <4bcf9bfc$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> The thing I refused to explain (such as finding text in document
> comments but not document content) isn't trivial in Linux, either.

For example, say you wanted a chart of the top ten memory usage processes,
as a pretty chart, in a word processing document.

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/matthijs/C-40-and-beyond-by-Anders-Hejlsberg/

Go to about 46:25 there. Look at the listing. This says "take the processes
running from the kernel, sort by descending size, put the first ten in
Excel, tell Excel to draw a chart of it, copy the chart onto the clipboard,
and paste it into Word."   And it's about as many lines long as those number
of sentences.  *That* is what I'm talking about in terms of complex files.
And you can do that from every scripting and compiled language on Windows
that supports COM, and I've yet to find one that didn't.

As you can see, grepping thru a directory of excel spreadsheets for ones
that use both "sin" and "cos" in the same formula would be a pretty easy
program to write, if you needed something like that.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:38:11 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:20:25 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure that's not part of Yast, tho.
>>
>> Yep, it is - firewall configuration, masquerading.  That should do it.
>
> Cool, thanks!  Now that you mention it, I remember hearing that term.

I do wish all the vendors (not just Linux vendors, but all vendors who
deal in this stuff) would decide on one term to use for this, because it
is quite confusing. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message