POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You lose some... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  You lose some... (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: You lose some...
Date: 16 Mar 2010 14:39:15
Message: <4b9fd053$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Have a Google for studio lighting tutorials, you may find something
>> useful. And maybe you can find a tutorial on photography composition to
>> help with the scene. I use a modeller so I can have an idea what the
>> scene will look like before rendering.
> Strobist is a great lighting resource. It is more geared to
> photographers, and getting them to use off-camera flashes, but the same
> ideas for separating the subject from the background by changing light
> distances and intensities is just as usable in POV. Their image pool on
> Flickr is good inspiration as well.

The concepts are the same or very similar. I found a site several years
ago (now long lost) that dealt with 3 point lights and fill in spots.
PovRay has the advantage of having shadowless lights for fill ins. :-D

> I work from an engineering mindset when building a scene. Either I know
> what the end result is going to be, and just keep tweaking the pieces
> until it gets there; or I know what the pieces are and I just play with
> random numbers until something ends up where I like it.

I find the OpenGL view of a modeller comes as a boon and a blessing to
men and much quicker than doing three elevations. ;-)

A paraphrase of an old advert for fountain pens

They came as a boon and a blessing to men, The Pickwick, the Owl and the
Waverley Pen.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen