POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : People are wrong Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  People are wrong (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Invisible
Subject: People are wrong
Date: 1 Mar 2010 08:25:10
Message: <4b8bc036$1@news.povray.org>
Well, it's always worth admitting when you're wrong.

Some time ago, I was irked to discover that OpenSUSE fails to install
unless you give it at least 1 GB of RAM. Not only does it fail, but it
does not fail gracefully. Rather than *tell* you it's failed, it
pretends to do the whole install, and right at the end leaves you with a
system you can't log into. (If you don't blink, a malloc() error does
scroll past almost faster than the eye can see in the middle of the
scrolling sea of text while the installer is running.)

I thought it was a poor show that this Linux distro requires an entire
1GB of RAM before it will even install properly, and an even poorer show
that it doesn't detect this condition and just *tell* you that it won't
be able to install.

And then at the weekend, I installed it in Virtual Box, and it worked
just fine with less than 1GB of RAM. It only seems to fail on VMware.

So it seems that OpenSUSE *does* work with sane amounts of RAM after
all. I had assumed the result I obtained with VMware would also hold for
real hardware, but now it seems more likely this is a VMware glitch...

Sorry SUSE.