POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tips on fighting retweets, the scourge of Twitter? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Tips on fighting retweets, the scourge of Twitter? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Tips on fighting retweets, the scourge of Twitter?
Date: 17 Feb 2010 18:40:01
Message: <web.4b7c7d88ef68005434d207310@news.povray.org>
I discovered how cool Twitter can be if you use the #hash tags to search for a
product, company, religious movement, cause, etc., you are interested in.

One thing that I find incredibly annoying is retweets.  You'll see some fairly
important item from one original source, then it repeated about 5 to 20 times
verbatim.  The thing that is bad is that the retweets contain the hash tag also,
so you'll see it 15 times!  The people who do this are just polluting the
stream.  I guess I get extra annoyed when I see the overly smug or joyous
pictures of the people doing this.  Are they that clueless, or are they
impressing a league of grandmothers who are only subscribing to them and two
other people.

In this way, it's not like a "Digg" or a "Like" on Facebook, in that those two
items don't harm anyone.

Re-tweeting might be a fairly cool tactic if somehow the hash tags were taken
out, so that only YOUR subscribers would see it.  Or, if there were only some
way to Block a person, that could save the annoyance.  You could leave that
person be, just ignore the less clueful re-tweeters to themselves. But I've seen
that Blocks don't prevent people from showing up in your #hash searches.

Have I missed something here?

Post a reply to this message