POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frickin' laser beams Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Frickin' laser beams (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chambers
Subject: Frickin' laser beams
Date: 4 Feb 2010 01:37:48
Message: <4b6a6b3c$1@news.povray.org>
"The addition of lasers tends to improve almost anything" :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hitach-laser-hard-drives-hdd,9582.html#xtor=RSS-181

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Frickin' laser beams
Date: 4 Feb 2010 10:51:16
Message: <4b6aecf4@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "The addition of lasers tends to improve almost anything" :)

> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hitach-laser-hard-drives-hdd,9582.html#xtor=RSS-181

  I wonder if such a heating technology reduces the lifetime of the disk.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2010 11:41:24
Message: <4b6af8b4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I wonder if such a heating technology reduces the lifetime of the disk.

I'm guessing it's just pushing the material above the curie point without
actually distorting it noticeably. (Or even making it closer.) At least
that's what earlier heat-based magnetic disks did. I can't imagine it's
trying to warp the material or something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do