POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL (Message 31 to 31 of 31)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL
Date: 10 Feb 2010 20:07:39
Message: <4b73585b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Licensing (including eg. the MIT license) is based on copyright. Thus
> if you want to license something, you have to own its copyright.

No. It perfectly suffices to own a license that grants the right to
"sub-license" the work.

Note that licensing is a legal construct to (non-exclusively) grant
rights, not deny them. Copyright, on the other hand, is a legal
construct for denial.

>   If one could re-copyright PD works, then anyone could take such a work
> and hijack its copyrights for himself, stopping anyone from using it.

It's not re-copyrighting - it's re-licensing.

Though I guess you might be right in that a license to use a work,
granted by a person owning all rights to that work solely due to its PD
status in their home country, might be considered null and void in a
country where the concept of PD doesn't exist in the first place.

Then again, I deem it unlikely that anyone would sue you for using that
work...