POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Bad journalism (Message 21 to 30 of 59)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Bad journalism
Date: 29 Jan 2010 18:33:11
Message: <4b637037$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/29/10 12:22, Darren New wrote:
> I remember reading about this - they had to drop the test a couple of
> years because none of the blacks who applied for the promotion that the
> test enabled actually passed the test.

	No - that was New Haven. This is New York. Different cases altogether.

--
One flea to another: "Is there life on other dogs?"

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jan 2010 18:35:08
Message: <4b6370ac$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/nyregion/14fire.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1264791670-GxVD+sfKjvw04Ji/zop/fQ

>>> It fails to explain how exactly the test discriminated. I looked at
>>> some other articles, and none gives any detail whatsoever.
>> The test "discriminated" because African-Americans (and possibly Hispanics)
>> scored lower than their White peers. And since requiring applicants to be
>
> 	Thanks for letting us know. Can you tell me where I can purchase the
> crystal ball that told you that information?

Well, it's pretty much the definition of "discrimination", in the technical
sense. :-) It apparently did a bang-up job of discriminating between whites
and non-whites, with a very low false-positive rate.

It's "discriminatory" in quotes because the discrimination was based on
"race" (or more properly ethnicity) and the minorities came out behind.

How did a simple written test that apparently does not look discriminatory
to those in charge of administering the test do such a good job of
discriminating between ethnicities? That's a very good question!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message